The Australian Science Olympiad Summer School Scholarship aims to provide eligible students support to attend the prestigious and highly competitive Australian Science Olympiad Summer School.
The scholarship is made possible through the Foundation’s General Scholarship Fund and donations from the Australian Science Olympiad Alumni, their friends and family and individuals who support and encourage high performing students in Australian public schools to pursue further study and careers in science.
The Australian Science Olympiad Competition is the training and selection process for top performing secondary science students which culminate in the International Science Olympiads – the Olympic Games for science students.
To earn a spot representing Australia at the International Science Olympiads, year 10 and 11 students must first sit one or more of the four Australian Science Olympiad Exams on offer in the disciplines of Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science and Physics.
Based on their exam performance, top performers are offered a place at the Australian Science Olympiad Summer School. This is a two-week intensive residential program held in January that gives high performing students the opportunity to study with others passionate about science.
This scholarship will be awarded to students in financial need who are invited to attend the Australian Science Olympiad Summer School in the one of the following disciplines: Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science or Physics. It will cover all or part of the Australian Science Olympiad Summer School fee.
Before applying for this scholarship, click here to read the scholarship terms and conditions
- Attends an Australian Public School
- Australian citizen
- Have sat, or will sit, for the Australian Science Olympiad exam, 2018
- Have a positive attitude towards school and high rates of attendance
- Strong interest in science with the intention to have a career in science
- Have sat or be intending to sit for the Australian Science Olympiad exam, 2018
- Invited to attend Australian Science Olympiad Summer School in one of the following disciplines: Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science or Physics by Australian Science Innovations
Please note: If you have not been invited yet, you may still apply for the scholarship however it is upon the condition that you are invited.
- Be a student who finds themselves in financial circumstances that prevents them from accepting their invitation to attend the Australian Science Olympiad Summer School because they unable to pay all, or part of the attendance fee
A selection panel will review all scholarship applications and assess them against the selection criteria. The selection panel will include representatives of the Public Education Foundation, a representative from Australian Science Innovations and independent experts. After considering all applications, the selection panel will recommend the selected applicants for the approval of the Public Education Foundation’s Board.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome via email. If successful, the scholarship recipient’s school principal will also receive notification directly.
HOW TO APPLY
Please note that all applications are now received via the Foundation’s online portal. You will need to sign up for a FluidReview account to access the form.
Prior to starting your application, you should compile the following information ready to submit:
- Applicant details including:
- full name
- date of birth
- phone number
- Residence status
- Parent/guardian details (at least one but up to two)
- phone number
- relationship to student
- email address
- School details:
- name of school
- principal name
- School Point of Contact – the person at the school who you would like correspondence sent to – name, phone number and email
- Basic information about you / your family:
- highest education qualification of your immediate family
- whether you are Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, or Pacific or South Sea Islander
- if you are from a Non-English-Speaking Background
- country of origin of your parents and yourself
- which languages you speak and are spoken at home
- whether you have been in out-of-home care
- socio-economic background
- how you found out about the scholarship
- Whether you have registered for the ASI Summer School exam and if yes, which discipline
- A recent photograph of yourself (head shot)
- A statement outlining why you, the applicant, is a suitable candidate for this scholarship and how you meet each of the selection criteria. Please also outline your academic plan (Maximum 400 words)
- A copy of all pages of your most recent school report ready to upload
- A personal reference (PDF or Word format, maximum 400 words)
- A supporting statement from your Principal (PDF or Word format, maximum 400 words)
Note for Principals: Please be aware that your statement is a critical component of the application form and your feedback is given considerable weight in the process of panel deliberations. The panels are looking for feedback that goes well beyond simple confirmation that the student is enrolled in your school, or that you endorse the application.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Once you have finalized your application and all elements are complete (including references as required) you can submit it for review.
Applications must be submitted by 11.59pm on Tuesday 20 November 2018.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Call the Public Education Foundation on 02 9266 8256 or email us