David S. Ratner Scholarships
The Public Education Foundation’s David S. Ratner Scholarship provides support and encouragement for public primary school students for five years starting in primary school (from any year from Year 1 through to Year 6) in 2019. This scholarship will support students for five years at primary and secondary school (depending on the year of application). This scholarship provides targeted assistance to students in primary school to address family hardship and ensure that academic potential can be reached regardless of disadvantage.
A bursary amount of $1,000 per year ($5,000 in total) will be paid to successful applicants for each year of their primary schooling, and as they transition to high school (if applicable). Consideration will be given to applicants whose family identifies as Jewish who can display potential to thrive in the primary school environment and who would benefit from additional financial support.
The scholarship funds are intended to be spent on items including:
- Uniform costs
- Literacy and/or numeracy support
- Excursion costs
- Technology and equipment
If the student leaves public school before the end of the scholarship period, the scholarship will lapse. Any unspent monies at the end of the scholarship period must be refunded to the Public Education Foundation scholarship fund.
Before applying for this scholarship, please ensure that you read the scholarship terms and conditions available on our website at www.publiceducationfoundation.org.au/scholarship-awards-terms
- Attends a NSW Public School
- Currently in Kindergarten – Year 5
- Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Evidence of successful transition to the primary school environment and demonstration of capacity to succeed at school
- Identifies as Jewish
- Disadvantage currently preventing the student from realising their potential at school
- Have a positive attitude towards school and high attendance rates
- Demonstrate they participate in school life
A selection panel will review all scholarship applications and assess them against the selection criteria. The selection panel will include representatives of the Public Education Foundation, a funding representative, NSW Department of Education and independent experts. After considering all applications, the selection panel will recommend the selected applicants for the approval of the Public Education Foundation’s Board. The panel may choose to shortlist applicants and invite those shortlisted to an interview. Applicants will be notified of the outcome via email.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome via email. If successful, the scholarship recipient’s school principal will also receive notification directly.
How To Apply
To apply for the David S. Ratner Scholarship, students can access the link to the online portal via the Foundation’s website – https://www.publiceducationfoundation.org.au/scholarships
Please note that all applications are now received via the Foundation’s online portal. You will need to sign up for a FluidReview account to access the form.
Prior to starting your application, you should compile the following information ready to submit:
- Applicant details including:
- full name
- date of birth
- phone number
- Residence status (copy of residency Visa or Citizenship certificate is a requirement for applicants born outside of Australia)
- Parent/guardian details (at least one but up to two):
- phone number
- relationship to student
- email address
- School details:
- name of school
- principal name
- School Point of Contact – the person at the school who you would like correspondence sent to – name, phone number and email
- Basic information about you/your family:
- highest education qualification of your immediate family
- whether you are Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, or Pacific or South Sea Islander
- if you are from a Non-English Speaking Background
- country of origin of your parents and yourself
- which languages you speak and are spoken at home
- whether you have been in out-of-home care
- socio-economic background
- how you found out about the scholarship
- A statement from the applicant’s parent/carer regarding why the applicant is a suitable candidate for this scholarship and how they meet each of the selection criteria.
- A copy of all pages of your most recent school report ready to upload
- A personal reference (PDF or Word format, maximum 400 words)
- A supporting statement from your Principal (the Principal will be sent an email requesting them to complete a statement of support)
Note for Principals: Please be aware that your statement is a critical component of the application form and your feedback is given considerable weight in the process of panel deliberations. The panels are looking for feedback that goes well beyond simple confirmation that the student is enrolled in your school.
Submitting you Application
Once you have finalized your application and all elements are complete (including references as required) you can submit it for review.
Applications must be submitted by 11.59pm on Tuesday 30 October 2018.
For Further Information
Call the Public Education Foundation on 02 9266 8256 or email us at email@example.com.