The First State Super Teachers Scholarship is designed specifically to support public primary school teachers who teach Early Stage One and Stage One. The scholarship provides up to $10,000 to support an approved professional development / professional learning activity or set of activities.
First State Super is one of Australia’s largest profit-for-member super funds providing members with safe and secure superannuation and quality financial advice. First State Super members are teachers, nurses, midwives, police, firefighters, paramedics and others who dedicate their careers to helping others.
Through this scholarship, First State Super is proud to invest in the professional development of Early Stage One and Stage One teachers who play an important role in the lives of young children, establishing the foundation blocks for future learning.
Before applying for this scholarship, please ensure that you read the scholarship terms and conditions available on our website at www.publiceducationfoundation.org.au/scholarship-awards-terms
- Be a current Stage One or Early Stage One teacher in a government primary school in Australia;
- Be committed to continue as a teacher in the government school system for at least another five years;
- Be available to share your learnings and act as an Ambassador for the Public Education Foundation and First State Super (if applicable) after the professional development experience;
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Evidence of significant ability as an early stage educator;
- Commitment to the values of public education;
- Capability for leadership into the future;
- Evidence of the candidate’s enthusiasm for furthering their own professional development and education;
- A clearly articulated demonstration of the need for the requested professional development, and their expected outcome from this;
- How the knowledge will be implemented in the classroom and shared with colleagues:
- Other personal qualities and personal circumstances that would enhance the candidate’s suitability for a First State Super Teachers Scholarship;
A selection panel will review all scholarship applications and assess them against the selection criteria. The selection panel will include representatives of the Public Education Foundation, First State Super and independent experts. After considering all applications, the selection panel will recommend the selected applicants for the approval of the Public Education Foundation’s Board. The selection panel reserves the right to ask shortlisted applicants to participate in an interview.
APPLICATION FORM AND ATTACHMENTS
To apply for the First State Super Teachers Scholarship, applicants can access the link to the online portal via the Foundation’s website – https://www.publiceducationfoundation.org.au/scholarships
Please note that all applications are now received via the Foundation’s online portal.
Prior to starting your application, you should compile the following information ready to submit:
- Applicant details including:
- full name
- phone number
- Residence status
- Number of years as an Early Stage One and/or Stage One Teacher
- School details:
- name of school
- principal name
- total enrolment
- student attendance rate
- % of Indigenous students
- % of EALD students
- % of students with special needs
- Please also outline your plan for professional development including:
- Requested course/s (must be post May 2019)
- Anticipated costs (including any travel / incidental costs associated with the study)
- Your plan for sharing your knowledge with colleagues
- Your plan for implementing your knowledge in the classroom (Maximum 300 words)
- A personal statement about yourself, your commitment to teaching and public education and how the course/s (and scholarship) will contribute to the plans and goals for yourself and your school (maximum 300 words)
- A reference from your Principal confirming their commitment to supporting your study and releasing you from teaching if necessary, to undertake the study (PDF or Word format, maximum 400 words)
Note for Principals: Please be aware that your reference is a critical component of the application form and your feedback is given considerable weight in the process of panel deliberations. The panels are looking for feedback that goes well beyond simple confirmation that the teacher is employed at your school and should include what you believe the applicants potential is as a teacher and future leader.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Once you have finalised your application and all elements are complete (including references as required) you can submit it for review.
Applications must be submitted by 11.59pm on Tuesday 26 February 2019
Please note that if you are selected as the successful recipient of this scholarship you will be required to submit a detailed proposal of your intended study, with associated expenditure, for approval prior to the funds being made available to you. Funding will be made available in late May 2019, so it is strongly recommended that your requested course/s take place after this date.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Call the Public Education Foundation on 02 9266 8256 or email us at
We also encourage you to visit our website to learn more about the Foundation and the work that we do – www.publiceducationfoundation.org.au