The Public Education Foundation’s Teachers Mutual Bank Emerging Leaders Scholarship provides a scholarship for emerging education leaders to undertake a short professional leadership program at Harvard Kennedy School in the USA. The Scholarship provides a successful applicant with the opportunity to explore modes of collaborative working and to identify opportunities for innovative leadership.
We are grateful to our generous sponsor Teachers Mutual Bank for supporting this scholarship.
WHAT THIS SCHOLARSHIP OFFERS
This scholarship will fund the following course offered by the Harvard Kennedy School – Executive Education:
Suitable for 3+ years of leadership experience
Course Dates: 3 – 8 November 2019
To be eligible for the Teachers Mutual Bank Emerging Leaders Scholarship you must:
- Be employed at Director Level (or equivalent) in a State or Federal Department of Education;
- Have had a minimum of 3 years’ experience of leadership at an executive level (leaders with less than 3 years’ experience will not be considered);
- Be committed to continue in the public education sector for at least the next 5 years;
- Be available to share your learnings to a wide community through formal and informal channels such as relevant conferences, social media and other networks;
- Act as an Ambassador in different forums such as the media, conferences and social media for the Public Education Foundation and the Teachers Mutual Bank upon your return.
Please note: This scholarship is for emerging leaders only and is not available to candidates employed at more senior levels.
Please also note: Scholarship recipients are responsible for obtaining the consent of their employer prior to accepting this award and prior to travel.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
Each Scholarship is valued at $16,000 and includes:
- All tuition fees for the Harvard Kennedy School – Executive Education – Emerging Leaders course;
- Travel insurance
- Return airfares ex-your nearest capital city and
- Accommodation for the duration of the course
The successful participant is responsible for their own living expenses and airport transfer.
Recipients who choose to extend their travel at either (or both) ends of the course will be responsible for booking their own travel and travel insurance and any accommodation outside of the course dates. They will then be reimbursed the equivalent of return airfare to Boston and travel insurance for the course period only.
The selection panel will consider the following selection criteria:
- Evidence of significant ability as a leader, commitment to public education and capacity for leadership into the future;
- Evidence of a candidate’s enthusiasm for furthering their own professional development and education;
- Evidence of understanding ways in which learnings from the course can be shared with colleagues via social media and professional networks;
- Other personal qualities and personal circumstances that would enhance the candidate’s suitability for a Teachers Mutual Bank Emerging Leaders Scholarship.
A selection panel will review all Scholarship applications according to the criteria set out in the Application Form. The selection panel will include a representative of the Public Education Foundation, Teachers Mutual Bank and additional representatives as required. After considering all applications, the selection panel will make recommendations to the Board of the Public Education Foundation for approval.
Please note: The Selection Panel may invite a number of applicants for interview before making its final decision.
SCHOLARSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS
It is a condition of the Scholarship that funds provided are used for purposes consistent with the intent of the Scholarship.
Before applying for this scholarship, please ensure that you read the terms and conditions document available on our website at https://www.publiceducationfoundation.org.au/scholarship- awards-terms/
APPLICATION FORM AND ATTACHMENTS
Executives should apply using the online portal https://pef.fluidreview.com
The process will require you to:
- Complete a short application form;
- Complete a statement (maximum 400) on Current Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete a statement (maximum 400) on Strategic Challenges
- Complete a statement (maximum 400) on Career Goals
- Complete a statement (maximum 400) on your Professional Training to date
- Name and contact details of your two referees – your first referee must be from the education sector, for example your supervisor or area director. The second referee is a ‘community referee’, preferably a prominent member of the community.
- Provide a copy of your CV, complete with your qualifications and your employment history. (This should be two pages maximum)
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Once you have finalised your application and all elements are complete (including references as required) you can submit your application for review.
Applications must be submitted by 11.59pm on Tuesday 26 February 2019.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Call the Public Education Foundation on 02 9266 8256 or email us at email@example.com.